Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting To Know a Beach Bride

Ok...you know how there are people who have been planning their wedding since they were seven years old? They knew the color of the dresses, the menu, the favors and the ring all before they met the guy? They are all taffeta and lace and crystals and seven tiered cakes and 20,000 roses? So think of the opposite and you get me.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's just not...well...me. When I finally realized that there might be a chance of getting married, I saw myself eloping to some Carribbean island. When I got engaged, my parents nixed that idea and I went back to the drawing board to come up with the next best thing. A beach wedding in Charleston, S.C.

I chose Charleston for a number of reasons. One, I lived there when I graduated college and was forced to move because of, well, work. Two, it's close enough to family and friends to come. Three, it's Charleston and who doesn't love Charleston??

Ok...back to the matter at hand. I'm planning a low-key wedding for June of 2011 (I also never wanted a long engagement, but we don't always get what we want, right?) By low-key, I mean going to the local flower shops the day before and pick what's in season for the bouquets and just going with it. No jackets will be allowed for the men (party or guests) and shoes are an option. The only thing I'm not compromising on is the dress. I want a great dress without spending thousands of dollars.

The whole reason I am starting this blog is because I am trying to find ways to keep my wedding small, fun and on a budget and am coming up short on brides who don't want to hire a florist.

So there you have it. I will be keeping everyone up to date in the blogworld as I plan my wedding. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I know my friend loved theknot.com when she was planning her wedding.. she was such a control freak she totally wanted to do everything herself so she got great ideas on party favors, decorations, stuff like that. :)
    Also.. I'm sure Jules knows a ton of good bridal sites to hit up for ideas.

    I personally love etsy.com
    its mainly handmade stuff, and I love it just for craft ideas (though its so hard NOT to buy stuff!)
    <3 Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! Congrats on the engagement. Jayson and I are also getting married in Charleston...low key...and most definitely on a budget this July. I already have a lot of low cost ideas and other stuff you might want to look into...send me an email if you ever want to do happy hour and chat about these exciting times for both of us!!

    Megan Thomas :)

    ReplyDelete